Indonesian Gado Gado
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 2 potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 200 g tempeh or tofu
- 200 g green beans
- 2 eggs (optional)
- ¼ Chinese cabbage
- ¼ red cabbage
- 120 g mung bean sprouts
- 2 tbsp peanuts, ground
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- ½ lime
- 1 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 150 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 6 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- Cook hard boiled eggs.
- Cut the potatoes into 1 cm slices (peeling optional).
- Slice carrots diagonally.
- Cut tempeh into cubes or strips.
- Trim the ends off the green beans.
- Slice the Chinese and red cabbage.
- Use a metal colander inside a large pot and bring 0.4 l water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes, cover and steam for 8 minutes.
- Add the carrots (you can also only use half of the carrots with the other half remaining raw) and steam for another 4 minutes.
- Add the green beans and steam for 3 minutes.
- Eventually, add the tempeh or tofu cubes and steam for 3 minutes. Alternatively, fry them in coconut oil instead.
- Once the potatoes are tender, transfer everything to a large bowl.
- Now, add the Chinese cabbage to the pot until wilted.
- Mince the garlic, juice the lime and combine with remaining sauce ingredients.
- Assemble steamed vegetables and tempeh into bowls along with red cabbage, mung bean sprouts, and sauce.
- Peel and cut eggs in half and top the bowls with the egg halves and ground peanuts.
- Enjoy the meal!