Brazilian Moqueca (fish stew)
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 350 g fish fillets (any kind e.g. codfish or seabream)
- 150 g whole-grain rice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 red paprika
- 1 yellow paprika
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground (as alternative to originally palm oil, if not available)
- ½ lime, juiced or 1 tbsp vinegar
- 15 g cilantro
- 15 g scallions
- 15 g dill-weed
- 1 pinch salt & pepper
- vegetable broth (optional)
- Chop garlic cloves.
- Cut the fish fillets into pieces about 5 cm wide and marinate with salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Slice onions, paprika, and tomatoes.
- In a pan, build layers starting with onion, paprika, tomatoes, then fish, again onions, paprika, and tomatoes.
- Add olive oil, coconut milk, turmeric and lime juice and season with salt & pepper or vegetable broth.
- Turn on the stove and cook everything for 20-30 minutes with lid on.
- In the meantime, chop herbs.
- As soon as the fish is cooked, add the herbs to the pot and serve with rice.